Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mustache button proposition


Last semester, I had a break between a two of my classes around lunch time, and having had not ever seen the cafeteria at my college, i decided to check it out.
The food was decent and cheep enough so i went back more than once.
On one of my decent enough visits to the cafeteria, I encountered a rather interesting individual. I don't remember her name but she was a black woman who worked the register in the cafeteria. She was interesting because of her aesthetic abnormality. No this woman was not physically disabled or mutated... She was a woman, amongst other woman, who, for one reason or another, has dark, thick facial hair on her chin and lip.
Not just a shadow of awkwardness, but a thick line and patch of super oddness.
I understand that not all people care to adhere to social expectations. I think everyone has the right to be a little odd-or a lot odd. So i have no problem with this woman.
But the sightings got me thinking...

You know when you go to the grocery store and the teenager ringing you up has a fabric cover over his tattoos, has his long hair pulled back in a pony tie, and his gauged earrings are the clear kind... Well, see, this guy is odd-i guess-because he has body art. His employer wants him to blend in, so he covers things and tucks them in. But his hair is still long and his earrings still in-those are his little signs, his message to the world that he is a part of a sub-culture, and that he likes it.

So i was thinking, if you are a woman sporting a stash, obviously you are a part of a sub-culture.. the part that doesn't match with the grocery store clerk however, is that she has no other symbols to tell the world, "I'm part of a sub-culture, and proud of it."
My solution to this unfortunate situation: a little aluminum button pin. I think it should sport an illustration of a couple of mustaches and a thumbs up. Simple, clear, to the point. This way, the woman in the cafeteria could never be confused with the type of woman who is so blind and ignorant of her oddity, that she doesn't realize she's a part of a sub-culture.

I say, acknowledge who you are and let people know you're okay with it.
Wear a tin pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment