Sunday, April 24, 2011

Someone in my family

believes in zombies.
No, he doesn't think they are currently in existence but he, a full grown man with 1 and 1/2 children, thinks zombies will one day come to earth and cause human destruction.. or something.
He quotes the part of the Bible that says the dead will rise again. Something about fire is in there too, so he has been collecting coin currency so that he may still have money when the cash is all burnt up. NO joke.
He also has weapons purposefully placed around his house to defend his family against said zombies. Goodness.
It's so ridiculous because this person has a verrryyy dear place in my heart. I've known him since I was in elementary school, he married into the family. I respect and love this man, so it's hard to wrap my mind around his beliefs.
I just found this out about him this week, even though this is a long-standing belief of his.


I bring this up today because today is Zombie Jesus day.

I have a "Jewish" boyfriend and nanny for a Jewish family. This week, both parties asked me what Easter actually celebrates. I had to explain that Christians believe that Jesus was crucified, put in a cave with a boulder to close his tomb, then three days later, was discovered to have disappeared. And that somehow, this means he came to life again and went back to heaven until one day, when he will come back and the world will end.
I feel VERY silly telling both of these stories because neither make any sense whatsoever. If Jesus was a real person who had disiples, then hmmmmm, don't you think THEY were the ones who broke into the tomb of their savior to take his body to a more holy place... or some shit? Anyone could have moved his cadaver.
How is it that Jesus came back to life if the only evidence is the movement of a heavy rock (that was moved two other times according to the Easter Christian story)?
These things don't add up. These stories were told A LONG time ago. Why can't millions of Christians on this earth see the idiocracy of it??

I have many Christian friends and family, so I am sorry if what I say is offensive to you. It's how I feel though, and believe me, I've been offended by your religion more times than I can count and no one has apologized for that.

I don't hate religion... I think it helps a lot of people on this earth and I'm thankful that people have something positive to follow. I just wish people could cut through the obvious crap and see the true teachings of the bible which all of us should learn: acceptance, forgiveness, oneness with your being, accountability for your actions, kindness to your neighbors, among other things like not killing other people and not judging each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment